Saturday, February 14, 2009

Hi Everyone,

I am home from a long week on the road, but always feeling so good after meeting so many wonderful teachers doing so many wonderful things. Even with all they do, they leave the workshop ready to try new things and explore all that we have talked about.

Today, as I was catching up on my blog reading, Digitally Speaking, actually a Wiki that is subscribed to as a blog, "spoke" to me. It cleared up even further the Creative Commons aspect of Flickr and provided a tool that really makes it easy to determine if a picture from Flickr is acceptable to use on a website and the coding needed to provide credit to the photographer. It is called Image Codr . With Image Codr, you simply enter in the URL of the picture page (as seen in your browser once you click on the image that you want)) and Image Codr will generate the ready to use HTML code. It will also display a brief and easy license summary, so you don't get in legal trouble because you missed something.

Let's say I search for a picture of a tiger. I go to the bottom and click on Get Code which will take me to This Page . There is a place for me to put the URL of my Tiger Picture. I then click Submit Inquiry and I get complete information what I can or cannot do with the picture. Now, if you have not narrrowed down your search to only those in Creative Commons through the Advanced Search you may get many that say "This Picture is Not licensed Under Creative Commons" so you want to do the Advanced Search first to find only the Creative Commons pictures. Once you get the information, there is an HTML code that you copy and paste into your Blog, Wiki, or Website if it is something being published (like a District website). Insert the picture. When the Blog, Wiki, or Website is published it will have the picture and the photographer's name like this.

I am going to show this in my next workshop.





No comments: