Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Fun Activity That Will Provide Some Reading Practice and some Fun!

I learned about The Tale Of Despereaux: Storybook Adventure from LarryFerlazzo's blog today and can see some real value to having your students enjoy the story, the games, the beautiful layout of the book, and the ability to place themselves in the story. I also liked the words being both seen and heard on the screen which helps to develop fluency as the students follow along. The students can make the story about themselves (even choosing an avatar that looks like him/her) or they can make the story about a friend or a parent or sibling. The book itself is a beautiful virtual "pop-up" book. There are several games offered to them as they go through the story. I did not see the movie, but I am guessing the plot is very similar to the story. I'd love to see more of these online stories, but I think that this one is tied into the advertising for the movie.

No comments: