Monday, December 22, 2008

A New Online Story Site

I hope that many of you are enjoying some well deserved rest and that checking in on my blog is one of the only "school-related" work that you are doing this week. Many of you, I realize will have put school on the "back burner" and will not check this blog until well after the holidays. However, when you do have a few moments, I would like you to take a look at this new website for online stories and much more. It is called Speakaboos and it is so darn cute that you will want to take some time to "play" and listen. There are plenty of stories to listen to, a free one to download, and others available ready to be put on an IPod for $.99. But this is so much more than just a "listen to" website. It is also a place where students and adults can record a story. What a wonderful way for a child to practice reading and to strive for fluency. What a wonderful place for adults to read stories to faraway grandchildren! Older students can read stories for their younger Reading Buddies.
I learned about Speakaboos and some of the ways to use it from one of my favorite blogs, I Learn Technology . This blog also points out that there are free story guides complete with themes to reinforce the story message and has comprehension questions. There are also printables that you can use with Speakaboos.
If you have little ones at home or visiting over the holidays, you will want to bring them along as you explore this site.

I also want to take this opportunity to wish all of you a very, very Happy Holiday. However you might celebrate the holidays that come at this time of year, my hope for you is that it finds you surrounded with family and good friends. I will be bringing the sunshine so badly needed in snowy Seattle.
Judi

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Speakaboos! Can't wait for them to release more books and do some more freebie downloads for my struggling readers to enjoy with their reading buddy iPods.