Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Elements of a Good Story and A Lot More!

Well, I am back in snowy Cleveland, although I luckily missed the blizzard of last weekend. As they were describing the horrid weather in Cleveland on CNN, I was sitting on my balcony watching the blue seas and feeling the warmth of the sun. However, back to reality as I head off for a Canadian "tour" next week.

I have just spent about 4 hours trying to catch up on blogs, podcasts, and emails. There are lots of new things popping up everyday and being away ten days in the world of technology is a lifetime! Teachers' First from last week had a fatastic website for teaching the elements of a story. They use the motivating story of Cinderella to share the elements of a good story: Setting, Characters, Sequence, Exposition, Conflict, Climax, and Resolution . After reading the story and learning about the important elements, students are challenged to create a story of their own. It uses audio and animated video with very clear pictures. It can be found at http://www.learner.org/interactives/story/index.html . Of course, I had to see where this really good website came from and what else the "Home" site offered and I found it was from a site that I had not visited in a few years. Wow! What a find. It is from Annenberg Media of the Annenberg Foundation whose mission is to help teachers use the media for enhanced instructional delivery. Their home page is at http://www.learner.org/ and this will lead you to many new interactive sites. This storehouse of websites will make up for my 12 day absence!!!
Judi

No comments: